Brick wall of a building serve several functions. In the cases where they are used to transmit loads, known as load bearing walls. Generally thickness 225mm or higher walls are constructed as load bearing walls.
In some cases walls they are used for partition purposes. Then they are known as non- load bearing walls. They just transmit their own weight but not additional loads (imposed loads)
Characteristics of Brick Wall
1. Good compressive strength.
3. Good fire resistance
4. Capable of transmit loads without failure.
5. Good appearance.
6. Requires low maintenance.
7. Low damp resistance
8. Good heat insulation property
Rules to follow during the brick wall construction
1. Two vertical mortar joints of successive courses should not align.
2. Whenever new course is started, the verticality should be checked by using plumb bob (the new layer should be plumb to bottom layer).
3. The horizontality and the level should be maintained (stretching a thread between first laid bricks at ends of walls, so that align them).
4. The width of the brick wall should be maintained by measuring its width by using measuring tape.
5. All corners (right angles) should be checked by using masons square for each course.
6. Brick walls should not be constructed to a height over1.5m within a day.
7. Tooth should be provided always for succeeding constructions according to the drawings.
8. bricks should be soaked in water before laying
The rules are following as guide line to make quality brick walls which having certain characteristics to fulfill and this may slightly differ with the country used on.