This Method Statement provides the details of materials, the equipment, the procedure and relevant documents related to the clearing and grubbing activities, including the quality control verifications, the measurement verifications, and also the traffic management plan, disposing of valuable trees, disposing of branches at disposal sites, disposing of logs and uprooting of roots to be implemented.
2.0 Location of Works
The location of the clearing and grubbing works will be limited to selected areas bound within the Right of Way (ROW) as instructed by the Engineer. These works may applicable alternatively, as required to locations outside the ROW (i.e. borrow pits, disposal areas etc.)
SE – Site Engineer
ROW – Right of Way
SO – Safety Officer
|Man Power||Equipments & Tools|
|Site Engineer 01 Nos||JCB, and/or Backhoes, and/or Dozer, and/or Motor Grader||Mammoties,Chain Saw|
|Supervisor 01 Nos||Dump Trucks/ Tractors||Mortar Pans,Rope|
|Unskilled Laborers 20Nos||Chainsaws and axes||Crowbars ,Hand Axe|
|Flagmen 02 Nos||Traffic Control Equipment as required and other minor materials||Shovels,Axe,Safety belts|
|Operators 02 Nos||Knifes,Sharpner|
|* Note : The major equipment used in for the clearing and grubbing works include, but are not limited to the above.||Pick axes,Flat end steel bar|
5.0 Safety Management Action Plan
In order to minimize the occurrence of site accident, the provision of a safe working environment for workers to work is essential. In addition to the above, the following safety precaution must also be implemented in achieving the minimization of site accidents.
5.1 Site Staff and Labor
• Safety Induction Training would be conducted to all new employees by the Safety Officer prior to start any work.
• Regular safety induction courses and toolbox talks would be arranged on site for operative and supervisory staffs and in particular for those new workers.
• Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as safety boots and helmets would be provided with workers. In addition, adequate PPE (e.g. ear and eye protectors) should also be available for construction works as required.
• Barricades with warning signs would be established all around the excavated area.
• All tools, plant, equipment and temporary facilities and all other items use to carry out the work should be in a safe, sound and good condition.
• Alcoholic drinks and other substances, which may impair judgment, would be prohibited from the Site.
• Snake Bite: When clearing shrubs and trees special attention would be made to protect workers from snake bite, and therefore, make sure all workers in this area would wear boots up to knees
• Working Radius: Mammoties and jungle clearing knife should have working space to move freely without hurting other employees.
• Fall Prevention Measures –Investigation would be take place to identify abandon wells and drainage systems in order to prevent from falling into abandon wells and drainage systems.
• Workers would not be allowed to work in the stream water unless provide with a safety belt with a long lanyard in order to rescue them in case of drowning. In addition, workers would be provided with life jackets.
• A notice would be erected to prevent outsiders entering into our work sites, “No Entry for Outsiders”.
• Signalmen would be deployed if the work spaces disturb traffic flow in the main road. A traffic supervisor would also be deployed to take responsibility over the traffic control.
• First Aide Facilities- First aid facilities such as a first aide box would be made available for in case of minor injury treatment.
5.2 Traffic Safety
• All traffic safety arrangements would be implemented as specified in the Manual on Traffic Control Devices – Part II Traffic Control Devices for Road Works published by the National Safety Secretariat – Ministry of Highways.
• One way traffic would be arranged placing two barricade boards on either sides, sufficient traffic cones would be placed as required by the road bend and space, two signalmen would be deployed on either sides and two barrels would be placed in order to provide safety guard to the signalmen from oncoming vehicles, and barricade tapes would be tie up additional protection during cutting branches and truck of the tree.