6.0 Safety Plan
6.1 Safety Management Action Plan
In order to minimize the occurrence of site accident, the provision of a safe working environment for workers to work is essential. Accident record in areas where the roadway excavation is done. In addition to the above, the following safety precaution must also be implemented in achieving the minimization of site accidents while roadway excavation.
6.1.1 Site Staff and Labor
• Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as safety boots and helmets would be provided with workers on site. In addition, adequate PPE (e.g. ear and eye protectors) should also be available for construction works as required.
• All tools, plant, equipment and temporary facilities and all other items use to carry out the work should be in a safe, sound and good condition.
• Alcoholic drinks and other substances, which may impair judgment, would be prohibited from the Site.
• Working Radius: Mammoties and jungle clearing knife should have working space to move freely without hurting other employees.
• Fall Prevention Measures: Investigation would be taken place to identify falling hazards and preventive measures would be taken immediately.
• Signalmen would be deployed if the work spaces disturb traffic flow in the main road. A traffic supervisor would also be deployed to take responsibility over the traffic control.
• First Aid Facilities: First aid facilities such as a first aid box would be made available for in case of minor injury treatment.
• All workers involved in the blasting work at the site would be informed to stay at a safer distance before start the blasting work.
6.2 Safety Control
Safety control and verifications include the periodic verification of a clean and tidy working environment, of adequate safety equipment and safety belts, of adequate first-aid facilities etc, as well as the verification of other items particular to the steps detailed in this method statement.
a. All workers would be educated in the use of excavators, bulldozers, & backhoes, such as the excavator arm & bucket distance and buffer zone in order to prevent from injuries.
b. Signalmen would be deployed in order to alert workers and traffic on the road.
c. Signalmen would be trained as per EMAP
d. Operators would be thoroughly instructed to prevent pushing soil loads into the main road area.
e. Roots would be cut and removed using chain saw and backhoe within the barricaded area. When a dump truck is positioned for loading debris signalmen would be deployed on either side to control traffic.
6.3 Safety in Rock Blasting
• Crack survey would be conducted in the nearest houses within 50meters prior to blasting.
• Two blasting signs would be erected at both ends of the road “ROCK BLASTING IN PROBRESS” prior to blasting.
• More than 4 signalmen would be deployed at both ends of the road, all sub-roads foot paths etc.
• Leaflets would be distributed prior to blasting as an awareness of rock blasting.
• Controlled rock blasting would be carried out using sufficient cover of soil, iron plates, sand bags etc.,
• A siren would be alarmed in order to warn the public and on coming vehicles.
• Four barricade boards would be placed on both ends of the road to close the area prior to blasting.
• Demolished debris would be removed prior to charging and clear the surface.
• All workers and signalmen would be conducted with rock blasting awareness course.
• Blasting would be carried out by the Mining Engineer in accordance with the GSMB regulations.
• Safety Officer would announce the massage of blasting prior to ignite the detonators.
7.0. Environmental Control
a. Strict environmental compliance would be implemented with regard to disposal of any demolished debris. The debris in question would be transported and dump in the disposal areas as approved by the Engineer.
b. Disposable materials would not be dumped into streams or unauthorized areas.
c. Effort would be made to clean the affected road surface, i.e., brushed off, and washed off to prevent from dust pollution.
d. Top soil would be collected before cutting the slope in order to plant vegetation after completion of required area is being cut.
e. Local Environmental rules would be followed in the slope cutting i.e. shall not reach to a fence and cutting shall be 3ft away from a private land, if not retaining wall would be proposed to prevent from erosion.
f. Every effort would be made to ensure no environmental pollution complaints from residents of this area with regard to air and water pollution.
g. Environmental complaints would be registered in the complaint register as specified in the Environmental Implementation Action Plan.
h. Every effort would be made not to disturb prevailing surface water run off. In case of prevailing surface water run off could be disturbed then investigation would be conducted to find out proper irrigation channeling system.
i. Water pool area would not be disturbed when disposing excavated soil. In case of a paddy field it would be filled and disturbed then the approval for reclamation would be obtained from the Agrarian Services Department prior to filling.